Sunday, January 13, 2008

The Complete Calvin and Hobbes (Calvin & Hobbes) [BOX SET] (Hardcover) Review


There is something unique about Watterson; all Calvin and Hobbes fans know that. No one should expect an explanation from Bill as to why he completely edited and altered the "biological mother" strip from November 25, 1988, which is reprinted in its original form in "Weirdos from Another Planet". He is like J.D. Salinger and simply won't talk to the media; he has complete control over his edits, which means IT WAS HIS IDEA TO CHANGE IT, and thus, BLAME WATTERSON if you don't like the edit, NOT THE PUBLISHER. The original goes: CALVIN: Watch out, Mom. I'm in a bad mood. MOM: Be in a bad mood somewhere else, OK? I'm busy. CALVIN: Hmph! I'll bet my BIOLOGICAL MOTHER would've bought me a comic book and made me feel better instead of shunning me like you. MOM: Kid, anyone but your BIOLOGICAL MOTHER would've left you to the wolves long ago. CALVIN: Yeah right. REALLY, HOW MUCH DID YOU PAY FOR ME? Watterson CHANGED IT IN HIS OWN FREE WILL to read; CALVIN: Watch out, Mom. I'm in a bad mood. MOM: Be in a bad mood somewhere else, OK? I'm busy. CALVIN: Hmph! I'll bet A GOOD MOTHER would've bought me a comic book and made me feel better instead of shunning me like you. MOM: Kid, anyone but your GOOD MOTHER would've left you to the wolves long ago. CALVIN: Yeah right. LET'S SEE YOUR TRAINING CERTIFICATE. It changes alot of the meaning of the strip itself; instead of ending in a preguntory, philosophical QUESTION, he changes it to a flat statement with no rhetorical thought at all. maybe he felt it was anti-adoption, and maybe he had a change of view after 15 YEARS. it happens. buy the set, respect watterson for not giving in to big business TEN years ago or selling out to plush toys and stickers, which are ALL illegal and never approved by Bill. He is a genius, and should be able to edit ONE comic in his opus if he felt the need-- he deserves all the credit he receives.


Price:
$94.50


Sell by : http://astore.amazon.com/bookworlds-20



No comments: